Argentina is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and in Latin America (LATAM). It is rich in culture with awe-inspiring natural beauty from glaciers to rainforests. It has vibrant cities such as Buenos Aires with its love of tango and theatre offering a European flavour to its visitors, to the popular expatriate city of Bariloche in north Patagonia offering summer hiking and winter skiing. For companies expanding into LATAM, an appealing destination is always a bonus when recruiting employees either from the home country or elsewhere in the world.

Argentina is also a founder member of MERCOSUR, a common market similar to the European Union, where members enjoy the freedom of movement for people, goods and services but where different rules can apply to work documentation, hence requiring some expert advice to navigate.

As with all countries, Argentina requires paperwork at border control for visitors, although this depends on nationality, length of stay and reasons for travel.  This could mean applying for Visas and work permits for Argentina for those looking for employment after determining which route into the workforce suits them best. Responsibility for getting it right depends on both the employer and employee and although the authorities can be accommodating, the process can be long, tedious and complex. Few companies have the resources when it comes to work documentation and many turn to experts such as Bradford Jacobs who provide the know-how to sidestep these issues. Through our Employer of Record (EOR) platforms, we ensure all your employees comply with work permit and Visa regulations.

Bradford Jacobs recruits your employees in Argentina through our Professional Employer Organisation (PEO) networks without the need for Visas or permits, putting into action our local knowledge of the region along with our 20 years of global experience. The result? Your company is up and running within days rather than weeks or even months. 

The different types of Visas and Work Permits for Argentina

Some countries’ citizens require a visa to enter Argentina to visit, for a holiday or business-related purposes, while other countries’ nationals are Visa exempt. Also, the citizens in the MERCOSUR countries of South America can travel to Argentina on their national IDs or passports without having to apply for an entry visa but require a police report of good standing. For work documentation, this may differ between the member nations.

Most people wanting to go to Argentina for employment require documentation, barring any special agreements between the Mercosur countries. Everyone needs a passport or national ID to enter the country and proof of good standing with the police in their home country. Also, all travellers are required to fill in an immigration or Migratory Card when entering Argentina.

Documentation required for work:

Note: Companies wishing to employ and sponsor foreigners for permission to work must register with the Registro Nacional Unico de Requirentes de Extranjeros (RENURE) and have a written contract with the employee regarding the job position, which must be signed by both parties and witnessed accordingly.

  • An Entry Permit or permiso de ingreso is the legal authority for the employer to hire a foreign worker. The application goes to the National Directorate of Migration (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones) (DNM), the governing body that initiated and regulates RENURE.
  • This is the first part of the Temporary Residence Permit; when approved, the documentation relating to the Entry Permit is sent to the Argentinian embassy or consulate in the employee’s home country. The employee requires this paperwork when applying for the Work Visa at the same embassy.
  • A Work Visa is required to enter Argentina for work/employment purposes; the permiso de ingreso is needed before the Visa is applied, which is the second part of the process. After the Work Visa is finalized, the Entry Permit and Temporary Residence Visa are stamped on the passport.
  • A National ID and CUIL are required for all foreign employees’ ID, social security and tax purposes and can be applied for when entering the country.

Visas are divided into two groups:

Short-Stay or Transitory Residence Visas (90 days or less) which include Tourist (max 90 days); Business (24H) (max 60 days for business-related activities); Technical or Professional (30 days for short-term technical or specialist activities can be extended to 90 days, also for companies participating in market research or commercial events); Study (less than 90 days).

These can be applied online as Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). However, there are conditions of eligibility for applying online. Cost varies depending on express service. The price is up to USD 200 and takes about 3-4 weeks.

Long-Stay Visas (Temporary Residence Visa for more than 90 days). Generally applied for at a local embassy or consulate in the home country. The National Directorate of Migration (DNM) issues work |Visas. To arrive and then apply can be much more complicated and problematic. 

  • Work Visa for Contracted Personnel / Temporary Residence Visa (23A). This is the typical Visa for contracted people working for companies registered in Argentina. It is initially for one year (or the length of the contract) and can be renewed annually if employment lasts. Employees also require a National ID Card (NDI) and a Unified Labour Identification Code (CUIL) for work, tax and social security. Families can be eligible to join the permit holder.
  • Work Visa for Secondment / Temporary Residence Visa (23E) k.a. Intra-Company Transfer. This applies when international companies send contracted staff members to Argentina. The permit is for one year initially (or the length of the contract if shorter) but can be renewed annually. The employment contract is with the remitting company, not the Argentina-registered hosting company.
  • Work Visa for Scientists, Managers, Technicians, Specialists / Temporary Residence Visa (also 23E) and includes some administration staff hired for their specific skills.
  • Rentista Visa is for those with a ‘passive income of around US$2,000 per month. This cannot be used for working on a company payroll but is for starting a business or as a self-employed person, e.g., Freelancers, new companies—initially, one year for renewal up to three years.
  • Investment Visa for those wanting to start a business and invest in Argentina.

Note: All the above visa holders can apply for Argentinian Citizenship and passport application after two years.

  • Mercosur temporary residence – For foreign employees born in Mercosur countries and coming to work for an extended period, although it may depend on the country of origin
  • Digital Nomad Visa – was enacted in May 2022 for remote workers. Six-month transitory residence visa renewable once for a further six months.

There are few exceptions or exceptional cases regarding work documentation, i.e., Temporary Residence Visa, but if the application takes more than three months, an ‘interim’ visa can be issued.

IMPORTANT: Every traveller should check with their airlines or Argentinian embassies about the required paperwork to enter the country during these times, as affidavits or DDJJs may be necessary, as well as immigration cards. They can be done online, but some airlines require them before departure.

How to apply for Visas and Work Permits for Argentina?

Special arrangements apply with the 13 Mercosur agreement countries, including founder and associate members. However, different rules apply to each country, so this must be carefully considered. Check to see what documentation is required to enter Argentina for employment purposes and seek the advice of an expert, such as Bradford Jacobs. Otherwise, all other countries’ citizens need the following:

  • The employer applies for an Entry Permit through the National Directorate of Migration (DNM) which is the first part of the work documentation process.

Note for the employers: Companies wishing to employ and sponsor foreigners for ‘permission to work’ through an Entry Permit must register with the Registro Nacional Unico de Requirentes de Extranjeros (RENURE), which the National Directorate of Migration regulates.

  • Work Visa is applied for at an overseas Argentinian embassy or consulate after receiving the Entry Permit and is the final part of the process.

The Entry Permit

All documents submitted should be first translated and notarized into Spanish. Also, employees must acquire a police report showing no criminal activity from their ho e country or any other country they resided in during the previous three years.

Documents listed below should be submitted to the DNM by the employer as permission to work:

  • Birth certificate from the employee.
  • Marriage certificate/divorce papers as applicable.
  • Police reports and checks.
  • Employer’s tax report and corporate registration.
  • The passport should have a minimum of six months. Validity and two blank pages
  • The signed employment contract by the employer in front of a notary.

When the Entry Permit is approved, the first part of the “permission to work”, the relevant documents are submitted in a sealed envelope to the embassy or consulate where the employee applies for the Work Visa.

Note: In some cases, this can be done online. Check with the embassy or consulate.

The Work Visa

Applied for by the employee at a loc l embassy or consulate in the home country. This is the final part of the Temporary Residence Visa. These should be as original documents with copies.

  • Valid passport for a minimum of six months after arriving with two blank pages.
  • Two recent passport-styled photos 4cms x 4cms.
  • Application form FVS completed and signed by the employee at the appointment.
  • Proof of residency in the home country.
  • Notarized police reports of good standing and a sworn statement or affidavit that the information provided is correct, which should be signed before the consular officer.
  • Contract of employment previously signed by the employer or company representative in Argentina and notarized by a certified member of the Association of Notaries.

This should include the registration number of the Registro Nacional Unico de Requirentes de Extranjeros (RENURE) regarding the employment of foreigners. This is when the employee signs the employment contract in front of the witnessing cons lar official on the day of the appointment.

  • Proof of qualifications or work experience, e.g., degree/diploma or technical certificates or similar; translated into Spanish and legalized by an accredited notary and translator.
  • Comprehensive health and travel insurance.
  • Proof of payment is required for the Migration Fee.
  • Consular fee payment in the local currency is equivalent to USD 250.

Note: Employees being transferred (23E) from their home country company require a letter of introduction requesting the visa

The interview with a consular officer follows this. Depending on the applicant’s applying country, more documents may be requested. This process can take a few months, depending on how efficiently the paperwork was completed, other paperwork requested, and the police reports. When the ‘Entry Permit and Work Visa’ (Temporary Residence Visa) have been approved, they are stamped in the passport, giving 12 months of residency.

National ID

It is the primary ID for temporary or permanent foreign residents. To apply, employees register at the office of the National Registry of People (Registro Nacional de las Personas) within three months of arriving. Documents are as follows:

  • Proof of residence in Argentina, e.g., utility bills.
  • Temporary Residence Visa obtained from the home consulate or embassy.
  • Birth certificate notarized in the home country by the Argentinian embassy or a ‘Hague apostille stamp’ if the home country is part of the Hague Convention. This must be translated, by a certified translator, into Spanish and notarized.
  • Two 4cms x 4cms recent photos.
  • Fee for the DNI (ARS 15).


This is the Unique Code of Labour Identification (Codigo Unico de Identificacion Laboral) required for social security benefits and tax purposes. It is applied from the ANSES Office (National Social Security Administration) by phone, mail or in person before starting work. Documents are as follows:

The employer or employee can apply for the code

  • The National ID Card for those residing permanently.
  • Or an Entry Permit from the DNM plus a Temporary Residence Visa issued by the embassy overseas.


For more information, download our free guide or get in touch with our consultants here