Hungary Visas

Home » Countries » Europe » Hungary » Hungary Visas

Hungary Visas, Work Permits and Migration

With an attractive balance of labour costs and work quality, advantageous business incentives, a competitive tax system, and investment-friendly economic policies, Hungary is a notable global business expansion option that is ripe with opportunities for foreign companies and entrepreneurs. 

Hungarian visa and permit regulations vary according to the zones foreign nationals reside in – The European Union, the European Economic Area, and outside zones are all affected by these regulations.

What Types of Work Visas, and Permits for Hungary are there?

For a foreign national to enter Hungary in order to work, there are a few work permits and visas one can apply for:

Types of Permits 

  • Individual work permit – For foreign nationals who want to work in Hungary for not more than 90 days over a 180-day period. 
  • Joint work permit – For foreign nationals who wish to work in Hungary for more than 90 days within a 180-day period. 
  • Residence permits – permits residency in Hungary for up to 90 days. 
  • Single application procedure – For non-EEA nationals who wish to reside in Hungary for more than 90 days within a 180-day period. This permit type can only be applied for through an employment relationship with a Hungarian employer. 

Types of Visas

  • Long Stay Visa (D) – For those who wish to stay in Hungary long-term, and also acts as a pre-approved residency permit.
  • Working Schengen Visa – This visa type is used for short-term employment opportunities.
  • Schengen Business Visa – For foreign, non-EEA nationals who wish to travel to a Schengen area for temporary purposes. This visa can be used for single or multiple entries. It allows holders to stay for 90 days within six months.
  • Seasonal Employment Visa – for foreign nationals who wish to work in agriculture, animal husbandry, or fishing are eligible for this visa. This allows the applicant to work for no more than 180 days.
  • EU Blue Card – a highly-skilled non-EU worker residing in an EU-member country can apply for this card if a residence permit is also acquired. To be eligible for this card, the foreign national will need to prove 18 months of lawful stay in a member state.