Tax Laws and Regulations

Home » Countries » Europe » Finland » Finland Tax Laws

Tax Laws

Global Expansion is a great way to grow your business and Finland offers many appealing opportunities. However, the tax laws can be complex and require time-consuming research. By using our PEO service we will take care of the complicated legwork so that you can focus on your business goals in Finland. Dealing with tax for your staff from overseas is a tricky process. Finland is no exception, with fines, sanctions and other penalties applying for not complying with the complex and many-layered aspects of taxation. We have made it our goal to keep track of the latest changes in the tax policies to always ensure complete compliance. To keep you informed and updated too, we created this guide which includes the basic facts regarding tax regulations in Finland.

Overview of Finland Taxes

Bradford Jacobs ensures our clients comply with every level of tax and employment law worldwide. This ‘know-how’ is vital for foreign companies expanding into Finland.

  • Individual Income Tax: 6% – 31.25% depending on income
  • Foreign Expert Tax Regime: 35%
  • VAT: 24%
  • Corporate Income Tax: 20%
  • Capital Investment Tax: 30% or 34%
  • Employer Social Security Contributions – 20.3% (average)

Finland residents are taxed on their worldwide income at various rates, plus flat rates for church taxes (where applicable) and municipal taxes. Individuals are considered tax residents if they have a home in Finland or have stayed there for more than six months.

Non-residents are taxed only on their Finnish income at 35% unless tax treaties apply.

Taxable Income

  • EUR 18,600 – 27,900: 6%
  • EUR 27,901 – 45,900: 17.25%
  • EUR 45,901 – 80,500: 21.25%
  • EUR 80,501 & above: 31.25%

Taxable income includes all the employees’ remuneration or compensation, including sums directly or indirectly arising from their employment. Taxable earned income categories include:

  • Basic salary, bonuses, fringe benefits
  • Cost of living and housing allowances
  • Reimbursed expenses for travel, accommodation, meals
  • Entertainment expenses
  • Profit-sharing schemes

Taxable investment income includes:

  • Income from property
  • Capital gains
  • Any income earned from assets

Finland Individual Tax Rules

Liability to pay Finnish income taxes generally depends on residence qualifications. Individuals are considered tax residents if they own a home in Finland or have lived in the country for six months.

Finnish individuals are taxed on their worldwide income, while foreigners are taxed only on income earned in Finland, usually at a flat rate of 35%. Foreigners can apply to pay progressive taxes in Finland if they pay tax on their worldwide income and provide the Tax Administration with relevant accounts and information.

There are no joint tax returns in Finland. Spouses file separately usually by pre-completed assessment forms.

Tax returns are due April 2 (if they have received a pre-completed tax assessment) or May 5, 12 or 19, with the due date printed on the pre-completed assessment form. Individuals receive the pre-completed tax return in March or April of the previous year to check and make amendments, with the final assessment made at the end of the following tax year.

The first instalment is generally due in August, but extra instalments must be paid in February or July if insufficient tax has been withheld or paid in advance.

Employers withhold taxes due on employees’ salaries and any fringe benefits. They must report employees’ earnings to the Incomes Register of the Tax Administration within five days of payment, via the ‘real time’ e-Register with the amount deposited in the tax office’s account no later than the 12th of the following month.

Foreign employees in Finland must register in person with their local tax office to receive a tax card and a Finnish ID to be able to deal with the authorities.

VAT & Other Taxes

The general rate for Value Added Tax (VAT) is 24%, with reductions for certain areas. A rate of 14% applies to food, animal feed, restaurant, and catering services with 10% applying to books, newspapers, and magazines.

Excise duties on such as alcohol, tobacco, electricity, natural gas, and coal or in line with the European Union directives.

Inheritance, gift, and estate taxes also apply in Finland to both Finnish nationals and non-residents. Municipalities collect property tax at rates of up to 2% on the assessed value of a property in a calendar year, while transfer tax is applied to income earned from the transfer of property (4%) or shares (2%).

Social Security and Statutory contributions

Finland’s Social Insurance Institution (Kela) manages a world-leading mix of services and financial support for its citizens and foreigners who work in the country. The benefits and entitlements cover the inability to work through illness or injury, unemployment, and maternity leave, while employers are compensated for entitlements such as sick leave, maternity benefits, and occupational health care.

The system is put into action by a combination of Kela, the municipalities, unemployment funds, pension companies and insurance providers. It is financed by taxes and insurance contributions from employers and their employees.

Finnish social Insurance laws stipulate local and foreign employers must make various social insurance contributions on behalf of their employees. Withheld health insurance deductions are paid to the Central Tax Administration and other contributions to the Employment Fund and insurance providers.

Employer’s Contributions

  • Health Insurance:  1.53% (no cap)
  • Pension Insurance: 16.95% (average, no cap)
  • Unemployment Insurance: 0.50% up to EUR 2.17million (USD 2.55m) of gross salaries; 1.9% above
  • Group Life Insurance: 0.07% (average, no cap)
  • Accident Insurance: 0.8% (average, no cap)

Employee’s Contributions

  • Pension Insurance: 7.15% (under 53 years old) – 8.65% (53 – 63 years old) – 7.15% (over 63)
  • Unemployment Insurance: 1.40% (between 17 and 67 years old)

To be covered by the social insurance system foreigners planning to live in Finland for more than one year must register with the Population Information System, giving the same personal details as Finns must supply. After receiving their personal identity code, they can apply for a Kela card online.

Once registered they can apply for benefits including:

  • Family, maternity, and sickness allowance
  • Parents’ cash benefits and childcare support
  • Reimbursed medical costs
  • Unemployment benefit