Croatia Visas

Home » Countries » Europe » Croatia » Croatia Visas

Croatia Visas, Work Permits and Migration

Croatia is a beautiful country for tourism and travel and one of the safest in the world according to the US State Department – a Level One nation even for those going solo. It sits at the heart of Central and Southeast Europe with a population of around four million and its rapidly developing economy offers a substantial potential for market growth. A member of the European Union (EU) since 2013, it has benefited greatly from the free movement of persons, goods, services and capital.

EU and European Free Trade Agreement (ETFA) citizens can travel to Croatia without applying for a visa or work documentation to enter, live and work there, with just their passports for ID.  There are around 95 other countries’ nationals who can also enter Croatia visa-free which gives travellers 90 days within a 180-day period, to visit friends, holiday or participate in business-related activities.  

At the beginning of 2022, Croatia was not a member of the Schengen Agreement but fully expects to be by the end of the year. This is when the EU is expected to introduce ETIAS, a European Travel Information and Authorization System visa waiver which can be applied for online, for those who are ‘visa-exempt’ at the present time, to monitor visitors travelling within the Schengen area.

Croatia is careful over its borders. Not all countries’ citizens can travel ‘visa-free’ and Third Country Nationals should check what documentation is required especially if they want to work there

What Types of Work Visas and Permits for Croatia are there?

European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) nationals have freedom of movement as Croatia has been a member of the EU since 2013 and EFTA since 2014. All they require to enter the country is a national passport with three months validity. They have the ‘right to temporary residence’ for three months, after which they must register their address with the local police and if working obtain the appropriate work documentation. They can also apply for a Residence Card

All short-stay travellers (tourists) must be registered with the police, which should be done by hotels, friends, landlords etc.

Available visas for those who need them:

  • Short-term (C) Visa to travel, enter for up to 90 days within a six-month period. Valid for up to five years. For instance – Tourist Visa, Business Visa, Personal Stay etc. but not for employment
  • Transit (A) Visa for travel through Croatia or airports
  • Long-stay (D) Visa. Is valid for up to six months and is applied for when the applicant has been granted a ‘Temporary Stay’ or a ‘Work Permit’ but only allows holders to stay for up to 30 days, although it can be for multi entries   

Visas should be applied for before entering the country from an embassy or consulate abroad.

NOTE:  Those people, for one reason or another, who wish to stay in Croatia for longer than 90 days, can request a Temporary Stay (Privremeni Boravak) as laid out in the Foreigners Act. This can be for a one- or two-year duration for a particular reason.