Vietnam Visas

Home » Countries » Asia » Vietnam » Vietnam Visas

Vietnam Visas, Work Permits and Migration

Companies targeting Vietnam for their next global move face unravelling the streams of red tape surrounding work permit, visa, and immigration laws.

Organizing the necessary visa documentation and dealing with Vietnamese bureaucracy, combined with migrating staff across the world, needs a designated in-house department. However, few companies have the time, the resources, or want to invest in such an operation.

Bradford Jacobs has the resources to sidestep all these issues. As an international payroll provider through our Employer of Record (EOR) and Professional Employer Organization (PEO) global networks we ensure all your employees comply with work permit and visa regulations.

What Types of Work Visas, and Permits for Vietnam are there?

For companies planning expansion into Vietnam, visas and work permits are an essential requirement. There are more than 21 types of visas from tourist to work visas so care must be taken to make the right choice. The main categories are:

  • Tourist – DL
  • Business – DN1, DN2 – For companies sending staff to Vietnam, paying them from their home country for short term business trips
  • Student/Internship – DH
  • Work Visa – LD1, LD2
  • Investor Visa – DT1, 2, 3, 4
  • E-Visa available for around 80 countries for 30 days

There are exemptions for 24 countries not requiring a visa to enter Vietnam for short periods.

Work Visas – there are two categories:

  • LD1 – foreign nationals looking for work who have a Work Permit exemption
  • LD2 – foreign nationals who require a Work Permit as a pre-requisite to the visa and who will be working long term in Vietnam as an employee of a locally-registered company. These visas allow stays (with work permitted) for up to two years and can be extended for a further two years. A Temporary Residence Card can be applied for when entering Vietnam and replaces the Work Visa.

Most foreigners require a Work Permit if they work in Vietnam for longer than three months.

Their prospective employer acts as guarantor and applies on their behalf. Those who are exempt still require a Work Permit Exemption Certificate.

Vietnam are looking for highly qualified professionals, those with high technical skills or who have extensive experience. They must be 18 years old and in good health and have the requisite police checks.

People visiting Vietnam, who need a short-term working visa for their company in their home country, may do so on a Business Visa.