The world of independent work is growing and changing, and with that comes changes to the motivations, desires and methods of workers and companies. Coupling this with latest advances of technology brought on by the recent events of the last few years, there has been a boom in the digital nomad movement.
The 9-5 office-work structure is no longer seen as the only way to get work done. In the US alone, the number of digital nomads has increased by nearly 50% from 2019. So how can we fully utilize the opportunities that digital nomads present to world of work?
What is a Digital Nomad?
A Digital Nomad is a remote worker who usually travels to different locations, often working in coffee shops, co-working spaces, and public spaces such as libraries, relying on wireless internet devices like smart phones and hotspots to do their work, regardless of where they are in the world.
The digital nomad community is a dynamic, remote workforce, and can be exciting for those who like to travel and want to embrace the break away from the 9-5 lifestyle.
Currently, there are over 35 million nomads worldwide, across a number of different industries and age-groups, as well as a number of different employment arrangements.
Many factors have contributed to the boom in the digital nomad community, such as:
- The rise in co-living and co-working spaces
- The growth of online talent marketplaces and digital nomad tour services
- The rise of helpful online information which is aimed at both nomads and general travelers
- Changing life and career values
The world of independent work is growing and changing, and the opportunities of independent work can be invaluable for any employee or business who wants to embrace the future of the global workforce.
Opportunities for Digital Nomads – Visas in Malta and Asia and Venywhere
Countries across the world are also noting the prospects of digital nomads, with countries in Europe like Malta, Portugal, and Greece, and countries in Asia such as Thailand and Indonesia creating specific visas to make it easier for digital nomads to enter their countries and encourage more cultural and economic opportunities.
Other opportunities, such as the creation of the Venywhere project, are designed specifically with freelancers and remote workers in mind, as well as encouraging further investment. With Venywhere, digital nomads or remote workers who want to move to Venice will only have to pay a one-time fee to access a concierge service that helps them ease into Venetian life.
However, these changes are only the beginning of what digital nomads can bring to the global work landscape.
Common Jobs for Digital Nomads
Whether becoming a digital nomad involves working for a company or for yourself, this work does not mean compartmentalizing yourself into a specific job role – it just needs to be able to be done remotely. Common roles that would do well in a fully remote lifestyle include:
- Project Management
- Quality Analyst (QA)
- Software Development
However, the sky is the limit!
The digital nomad lifestyle may not be for everyone, and there are a number of obstacles and challenges along the way to get where you want to be. However, there are great benefits that can’t be ignored when considering the larger picture of this type of life:
- More productivity – Autonomy on where you work and how you spend your time allows for better productivity levels and motivation to get your work done.
- More creativity – More flexibility in your routine and surroundings has been proven to increase one’s creativity and ability to think outside the box, providing different views and perspectives that cannot be found in an office job.
- More adaptability – The life of a digital nomad relies on the ability to adapt to new experiences, people, and cultures. Travelling has been shown to strengthen the desire and ability to learn new skills, and pushes you to out of your comfort zone, making you and your work more adaptable to new situations.
- More fulfillment – Digital Nomad work also offers an opportunity to reprioritize life goals and focus on strengthening their connections with loved ones, creating memorable life experiences, and doing the things you love. Digital Nomad work embraces the idea that people work to live, not live to work.
- More connections – The digital nomad community is vast, and this lifestyle allows you to forge close connections, create a global community of like-minded people and open the doors to opportunities not otherwise available.
How to Become One with Global Recruitment – Contact Us
Whether you’re an employee looking for a change of scenery or a self-employed person looking to invest in new markets as a Digital Nomad, our recruitment platforms can help you get there.
If you’re interested in learning more, contact one of our consultants today.